Saturday, October 27, 2012

Review: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin



The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Summary: Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.
She can’t.
She used to think her problems were all in her head.
They aren’t.
She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.
She’s wrong.
In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara Dyer next?

*WARNING: SPOILERS* 
The blurb is as mysterious as the first book's, but I love this book so much. I'm probably gonna go and reread it a couple of times now. And freak out about the awesomeness of the incroyable book I just devoured in one all nighter. Anyway, on to the technicality review stuff.
Plot: It can get a little confusing, but as long as you either are a very thorough reader or go back and reread the confusing parts you should be fine. The plot itself is amazing. It was quite emotional and you could really see the depth of the characters. It was sort of depressing, but Noah makes it all better <3 There is a sort of mystery aspect to the plot, which made me quite the happy camper. Some parts of the novel made my skin crawl, which was also delightful. I am not a girl who is easily scared.
Characters: The characters are amazing, and I love all of them! Huge spoiler alert: Jude is indeed alive. Mara is, as always, very likable and witty about everything. She is one of the few female main characters whom I liked. Noah is very well developed in this sequel, which makes me extredibly (a word I made up - extremely + incredibly) happy. Noah and Mara's relationship just makes me happy. Mara's brother, Daniel, is also shown a lot in this book; he is also one of my favorites. The characters are all just so lovable.
Style: Michelle Hodkin is a great writer who obviously very well versed. I as a grammar nazi am thoroughly pleased by her usage and word choice. She has expansive vocabulary and occasionally even uses a word that I don't know. Kudos to her!


Would I suggest this to a friend? Assuming that this friend has read the first one, I wouldn't need to! The first book is amazing and leaves you on a cliffhanger, so this friend would feel the need to read it him/herself.

3 comments:

  1. I was always clicking the define button on my ereader when I read #1. I felt like I was actually bettering myself by reading a ya novel as opposed to many other books I have read in which I was under the impression that I was dumbing myself down!

    And the book trailer for this is really weird. It's basically Mara and Noah making out. I'm afraid it won't be doing the book justice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! I just finished at 2:18 am.wow is all i can say.and that I can wait for the next one. I have so many emotions going on right now. That was epic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sogned copy came today. I got a Noah shaw bookplate too!yay

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.