Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1)The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Summary: Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong.

The blurb is very elusive, but I promise this book is fantastique! This has to be one of my favorite books. There is somewhat of a supernatural element that is still vague even after finishing, but what drives the story is the personality of the characters in my opinion. At first, Mara doesn't want to let the infamous Noah Shaw into her life. While they're still getting to know each other, they challenge is other. Their banters are hysterical, each rebuttal more witty than the next. It's obvious that Michelle Hodkin is a very intelligent person with an extensive vocabulary. I love these characters, love their chemistry. I usually do not like the main female protagonists in the books that I read. I'm always wondering why the flawless guy always falls for her when there's so many things about her that irk me. But Mara's different. She has the wit to stand on her own, yet is very kind and caring to the people she loves. Noah is the guy who has a reputation for being a bad boy, probably seen as the rich, stupid, arrogant guy by his peers. He puts up this facade, but underneath it, he is a boy that every girl would fall for-kind, smart, funny, beautiful. And he's British! If you don't know, I love accents.
The story line itself can get cloudy, especially at the end, but keep in mind that it is part of a series so all should be explained. Once you start reading, I am confident that you won't even mind the uncertainty of the supernatural aspects because the characterization was done that well.

I haven't read the next book, but I'm very excited to. I just don't know when I'll have the time to.

Would I suggest to a friend? READ IT NOW!!!



View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I love accents too and i have read this book and i love it so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who can resist accents? They just make everything more appealing! This is one of the best trilogies I've read so far. I'm so excited for the conclusion!!!!!!!!!! The Evolution of Mara Dyer's ending was intense.

      Delete

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.