Saturday, November 10, 2012

Review: The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

The Last SongThe Last Song by Nicholas Sparks

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I did a review for this right after I read it, and did not remember that until today. It was terrible so REWRITE TIME!

*I read this after I saw the movie.

Summary:Seventeen year-old Veronica “Ronnie” Miller’s life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Wilmington, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains angry and alienated from her parents, especially her father… until her mother decides it would be in everyone’s best interest if she spent the summer in Wilmington with him. Ronnie’s father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church. The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story about love in its myriad forms – first love, the love between parents and children – that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that deeply felt relationships can break our hearts… and heal them.

Characters: I really enjoyed this book more than Nicholas Sparks' other stuff because these characters were closer to my age, the intended audience. I liked the evolution of Ronnie, how she grew closer to her family and came to fall in love. She learned from her mistakes and was redirected to the right path.  Will was a sweet character. He was always there for Ronnie and her family, but there wasn't anything special about either him or Ronnie.  I didn't become attached to them like I do with other characters, but they certainly were relatable.
After watching the movie first, it was hard not to picture the characters as the actors who portray them. In Will's case, it wasn't so bad since Liam Hemsworth isn't too bad to look at :)

Plot: We have you typical Nicholas Sparks formula. You know there's going to be love and death in the book.

Movie: DON'T be discouraged to read this after watching the movie. DON'T let Miley Cyrus' acting turn you away, for the book was much better than the movie!
I found amazingly interesting that the screenplay was written before the book just for Miley Cyrus. After reading it, i realized that there are a ton of holes in the movie, especially regarding the church fire. In the movie, this part of the plot was kind of forgotten about, but it is explained in the book because it has such significance to the story.
*Many of the funny lines from the screenplay show up verbatim.






The Last Song Trailer



Would I recommend this to a friend? Yes. However, I know some people do not like Nicholas Sparks where people die, so keep that in mind.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.