Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

The Statistical Probability of Love at First SightThe Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Summary: Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?
Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.
A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. Can fate intervene to bring them together once more?
Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it. 

*Spoilers*

This is what every girl wants, right? I think my hopes were too high for this book based on my own crazy desire for fairy tale love.

Characters: Hadley is like an other teenager-naive and angry at her parents. Sometimes, she's quick to assume things, not using any logic. I found myself annoyed at her naïveté at times, but again, she's just a kid. Oliver's cute. I'm a sucker for Brits, but he definitely is a gentleman and has some witty lines throughout. Despite the fact that Hadley is the main character, I would argue that Oliver is more complex.

Plot: I absolutely loved the idea for this book. In fact, every time Rachel or I go on trips, we always tell each other to look out for the Brit whom the other will statistically fall in love with at first sight. However, the story fell short of my expectations. I feel that Hadley and Oliver's time spent together wasn't focused enough, considering what the title of the book is. I felt that Jennifer E. Smith's focal point of the story was Hadley making amends with her father, even though the book is promoted as being a love story. This had the get together, break up, make up formula. All in all, the make up was terrible.

Writing: It sure was fun learning new British diction! However, I will give credit to the author that there were a few insightful statements by the characters. While the story is still very cute, there are dramatic tones throughout.

Would I recommend it to a friend? No, it was a huge letdown. Great idea, but didn't turn out fantastic on paper.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.