Monday, December 24, 2012

Review: Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Summary:INTENSE. DANGEROUS. ADDICTIVE.
Abby Abernathy is a good girl. She doesn’t drink or swear, and she has the appropriate number of cardigans in her wardrobe. Abby believes she has enough distance from the darkness of her past, but when she arrives at college with her best friend, her path to a new beginning is quickly challenged by Eastern University’s Walking One-Night Stand.
Travis Maddox, lean, cut, and covered in tattoos, is exactly what Abby wants—and needs—to avoid. He spends his nights winning money in a floating fight ring, and his days as the ultimate college campus charmer. Intrigued by Abby’s resistance to his appeal, Travis tricks her into his daily life with a simple bet. If he loses, he must remain abstinent for a month. If Abby loses, she must live in Travis’s apartment for the same amount of time. Either way, Travis has no idea that he has met his match
I haven't really posted any negative reviews, so here I go with the first.

Characters: Most readers of this have also read Fifty Shades, so that brings up me comparing the main characters. Travis and Christian are both controlling despite their really sweet moments. I cannot love these men because I would be scared of them lashing out. Needless to say, I'm not a fan of them.

Abby's like Anastasia, the sweet good girl type of character. She seemed weak to me. Whether it was from her love of Travis or not, she was not a strong, independent woman that could take care of herself. I don't like to see these servile characters in my books. I want to see a strong female lead, a role-model for others.

Note: I hate when Travis calls Abby Pigeon! Sure there was a semi- cute reason why she's called that, but I hate it.

Plot: Oh so predictable and melodramatic at times. I'm all about the predictable love stories, but the characters really did not contribute to making me feel positively about this book

New Adult: So this is one of those new adult genre books. I'm really into the idea of it because I like a balance between the innocent YA and the explicit Adult Romance, but this was so disappointing. I'm willing to try this genre again, so I'm crossing my fingers for next time.

Would I recommend this to a friend? No. This was just plain bad.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.