Friday, June 14, 2013

Review: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Summary: Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

Characters: 
Juliette: It's hard not to like this girl. Well, at least it's hard not to feel sorry for her.  She's been an outcast all of her life even though she tries to be good.  That's what I like most about Juliette.  
Adam: Is it me or did anyone else constantly think of Superman when you read his name, Adam Kent?  Regardless, I still love this boy.  His relationship with Juliette reminds me of Peeta and Katniss' in that they knew each other when they were younger and the guy fell in love with the girl.  I think it's cute.  The one thing I didn't like though was that these two are way too hot and bothered.  Their hands were all over each other too frequently, making her touch seem less special.

Plot: Thank goodness there is a sequel because the story was just starting to get good at the end.  It seems like there were only a few key events so it makes sense that the book isn't terribly long.  If you like a really good plot, you're going to have to wait for the next book

Writing: Tahereh's writing is absolutely beautiful.  I usually don't like the flowery stuff since I enjoy concision, but it worked in this story.  And I love that there are lines in the book that are crossed out,
so you really know what's on Juliette's mind.

P.S. I went to her book signing, and Tahereh is hysterical.  She told a story about the bird tattoo which made me crack up when I got to that part in the book.  I guess that kind of ruined that part of the book since it was probably supposed to be pretty serious.  If you ever get a chance to see Tahereh, go!!!!

Would I recommend this to a friend? Yes, I  think the concept of this book is super neat! It's not your typical YA dystopian.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your thoughts, but please no spam! Thanks for sharing with Lis Les Livres :) Have a lovely day.